The ConGlomeration Cosplay Masquerade is the premier event of ConGlomeration 2020, with a significant number of our members attending and participating in the costume competition.
The Masquerade represents the culmination of our annual Cosplay Program Track.
The ConGlomeration 2020 Cosplay Masquerade will begin at 8:00 pm Saturday April 11, 2020, in the Coronet Ballroom of the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Louisville, KY.
(Don’t know what cosplay is? Let MythBusters‘ Adam Savage explain.)
All ConGlomeration members are encouraged to participate in our Cosplay Masquerade. Entry forms will be available online, at registration, or at the Cosplay Masquerade table. For everyone’s enjoyment and safety, we’ve set forth the following rules.
Want to join our Cosplay Masquerade (or just look on in awe)? Register for ConGlomeration!
Rules for Member Entries
- All entries must be members of ConGlomeration. Badges must be presented to participate, but do not need to be worn during the competition.
- Presentations will not run for longer than two minutes, no matter how many people are in the entry.
- Entries must be original to ConGlomeration. You may have entered your costume in previous Cosplay Masquerades at other conventions. We cannot accept costumes that have competed with us in the past.
- All entrants must sign a release form. All members of a group entry must sign a release form. Minors must have a parent or guardian sign a release form.
- Members are allowed to participate in one presentation only. If you wish to enter more than one costume, you must get another member to enter the Cosplay Masquerade to wear your alternate costume design.
- Purchased, rented or commercial costumes may not be entered into the workmanship category. If you are entering the performance category, your costume may contain purchased pieces.
- Total or partial nudity is absolutely prohibited.
- No jumping off of or falling off of the stage. If you have special entrance or exit plans, please check with the Cosplay Masquerade director.
- All special effects must be authorized by the Cosplay Masquerade director and explicitly explained to Cosplay Masquerade staff. Please make arrangements beforehand for getting props on and off the stage.
- Recorded soundtracks are encouraged, but must not exceed the allotted time limit. Participants must provide physical media copies of their music. Please turn in all sound recordings to the technical director. We are equipped for electronic (CD/USB) formats only. Microphones will only be available by special permission from the Cosplay Masquerade director.
- All registration forms and audio must be turned in on Saturday by 4:00 pm, the beginning of Saturday rehearsal.
Cosplay Masquerade Entry Categories
- Junior/Youth – Anyone under the age of 16.
- Performance – If you would love to show off your cosplay with a skit but didn’t necessarily hand-make all of your costume, this is the category for you. Prejudging is optional because you are not competing on the construction of your costume.
- Workmanship – This category is for those who have put hours of work into their costume. You may not have a song and dance, but you plan to dazzle with all your hard work and detail. Prejudging is required.
Want to cheer on your favorite local Cosplayers? Register for ConGlomeration!
Rules for the Cosplay Masquerade Audience
- No flash photography during the Cosplay Masquerade.
- Please remain seated during the performance. Some costumes limit visibility and movement; allow participants extra room, if needed.
Want to take part in Louisville’s friendliest cosplay throwdown? Register for ConGlomeration!
Rules for Cosplay Masquerade Judges
Judging will be measured by the following points. Judges are to only consider the present Cosplay Masquerade while deliberating.
- Construction – How well is the costume made? Is it an original design? Was it handmade? What details are included?
- Originality or Recreation – Mashup or authentic historical. How well did you execute what you were going for? Visual reference is helpful. Not everyone may understand the source material.
- Visual Effect – Costume beauty or striking effect. This is the WOW factor.
- Creativity – Tell us how you designed and made your costume.
- Performance – This score is about your presentation during the Cosplay Masquerade.
Want to be a part of Kentucky’s most family-friendly cosplay party? Register for ConGlomeration!
Cosplay Masquerade Schedule
- Friday 12:00 pm to Saturday 4:00pm – Cosplay Masquerade signups
- Saturday 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm – Cosplay Masquerade technical rehearsal and check in. You don’t have to practice but you must talk to the Cosplay Masquerade director to go over all instructions.
- Saturday 5:30 pm to 6:00 pm – Volunteer check-in.
- Saturday 6:00 pm – Entries must arrive for prejudging.
- Saturday 8:00 pm – Cosplay Masquerade begins. Judges will confer after all contestants have presented. Entertainment will be provided during the judging process. Trophies are awarded when the judging is completed. Photos may be taken after the Cosplay Masquerade.
Want to join our Cosplay Masquerade? Register for ConGlomeration!
Sponsor the ConGlomeration Cosplay Masquerade
ConGlomeration members describe us as a geek family reunion. All our activities are interactive and fan-driven, which has created a devoted following of local fans who support us (and our sponsors) with a fierceness.
Get in on the good vibes by sponsoring the ConGlomeration 2020 Cosplay Masquerade! You’ll be supporting the single most popular event at our convention, while also reaching the majority of ConGlomeration members (more than half of ConGlomeration shows up to the Masquerade) with your included sponsorship messages.
Can’t afford to sponsor the whole Masquerade, but still want to promote your stuff? We have several advertising options for our Program Book!
Volunteer in the Cosplay Masquerade
We need volunteers to help maintain the orderly flow of Masquerade participants during rehearsals Saturday afternoon and performance Saturday night. This can include recruiting cosplayers, guiding them through masquerade signup, aiding in photography, assisting with costume issues, timing and directing acts on and off stage, and general crowd control. Those who can keep cosplayers on time and in place will be hailed as worthy to wield Mjolnir and rule all of Asgard (offer not valid in Midgard; Mjolnir sold separately).
Volunteer for six hours and you get an exclusive, not-for-sale platypus parody t-shirt.
Cosplay Masquerade questions?
Contact Sarah Ritchie, Cosplay Masquerade Chair [email@example.com]