Louisville’s geek family reunion will resume Easter weekend — March 30 to April 1, 2018. And that’s not all that’s new for your favorite Derby City fan convention.
After hearing from our members, vendors, and guests that our previous venue was no longer adequate or satisfactory, ConGlomeration 2018 will instead be held at the Crowne Plaza Louisville Hotel & Conference Center. (Old-timers may remember this as the Executive West Hotel, home to many a past RiverCon.) With a new official hotel comes a few new surprises, too, including:
- The ability to book your hotel room online at the guaranteed best convention rate, in the convention block (no more calling by phone to ensure convention discounts)
- Seriously our online room rates are on average $60 cheaper than the Crowne Plaza’s “rack rates,” and cheaper even than online discount sites
- A brand new, larger, and nicer ball room for the Cosplay Masquerade (that doesn’t share space with the Dealer’s Room)
- An expanded and improved Hospitality Suite; the nicest in ConGlomeration’s history
- A brighter, cleaner, more centrally located Game Room, with an expanded game library
- A simpler, easier Dealers Room reservation process
- A dedicated Author’s Alley in our Dealer’s room (spaces for which should go on sale Aug. 1)
So, why Easter Weekend? We know that may present a few challenges for some members, but we’ve successfully hosted ConGlomeration on Easter before (most recently in 2011, at the Crowne Plaza), and the advantages of the new hotel made moving to Easter weekend worth it. In fact, the deal was so good we’ll be at the Crowne Plaza for the next three Easter weekends — March 30 to April 1, 2018; April 19-21, 2019; and April 10-12, 2020. Mark your calendars now.
To be frank, the only way ConGlomeration could afford a venue this nice was to agree to a holiday date, and Easter weekend proved to be the least objectionable holiday amongst our members when surveyed. It keeps ConGlomeration in Spring — the single most important concern among surveyed members — and overlapping with some portion of the local school systems’ Spring Break. To avoid Easter meant staying at our previous host hotel, and the deteriorating state of that facility made that no option at all.
Nonetheless, ConGlomeration is making a host of adjustments to accommodate the Easter holiday, including tweaks to our Dealers Room and Art Show hours to help attendees wrap up early on Easter Sunday, as well as the welcome return of a non-denominational on-site Easter Service on Sunday morning for all nerdy worshippers.
We’ll see you this Spring!